Grows mainly in the mature forests of British Columbia and on Vancouver Island some is also grown in UK.
Benefits and features.
- Dimensional stability.
- Natural durability.
- Free of pitch and resin.
- Straight grain & uniform texture.
- Acoustical & Insulation properties.
- Good Fastening.
- Dries readily with little degrade.
- Light weight.
Western red cedar
- Western Red Cedar grows to heights of 45 to 60m but more massive individuals are also common.
- Cedar varies widely in colour from dark brown of the heartwood through lighter browns and pinks to light straw and almost white outer bands of sapwood.
- Unusual colour variations called Resin Streak are narrow bands of very dark wood caused by injury to the tree.
- Scientists have related Cedars colour variations to decay resistance.
- Dark coloured inner heartwood inhabited by fungi.
- Straw coloured outer heartwood virtually sterile.
- Dark coloured heartwood has lower density, toughness, and compression than light coloured heartwood.
What is it used for:
External Claddings, Internal Paneling, Decking, Shutter & Blind Components, Window & Door Joinery, Outdoor Furniture, Saunas & Spa's, Shingles & Shakes etc...